| I will prepare food with my iron fist! Then I will work my way up to ruling you all with my fist! You, obey the fist!|
|Invader Zim Episode|
|Airdate:||May 04, 2001|
"Career Day" is the 1st segment in the 6th episode of the first season of Invader Zim. It first premiered on May 4, 2001, on Nickelodeon.
SPOILER WARNING OF DOOM: This section or article may contain spoilers!
Unfortunately, thanks to the alignment of the planets during an event known as the Galactic Equinox, any aliens not on their home planet (including Zim) go through a hideous molt. Dib discovers this, and tries to get Bill to McMeaties in time to see the transformation, but Bill is more concerned with chasing after Count Cocofang, a cereal box mascot.Zim tries to get off work before 5:00 pm, when the equinox occurs, but is afraid of not getting promoted and stays on duty. At 5:00 pm, Zim goes through his revolting molt, causing chaos inside the restaurant, but it goes unnoticed by Bill, who is trying to stake a man dressed as Count Cocofang. When the molt ends, Zim is fired for destroying the restaurant and "Cocofang" gets away.
End of Spoilers: There are no further spoilers for this section or article. You can breathe now.
Facts of Doom
- The device that Bill uses to examine the crop circle in this episode is somewhat similar to the device used to identify alien species in Men in Black.
- The restaurant in this episode, McMeaties, is a reference to the popular fast food McDonald's.
- Count Cocofang and the cereal Cocosplodies in this episode is a reference to "Count Chocula" brand cereal.
- In the beginning of the episode, Melvin claims that he wants to be an astronaut. Melvin actually stated this same goal in the pilot, but was ridiculed by both Ms. Bitters and Zim.
- The fourth wall is broken in the beginning of this episode. When the camera pans to Dib, who begins to say what he's going to be when he grows up, the camera slowly turns to Melvin, after which Dib says "Hey, I wasn't finished yet!".
- Mr. Elliot, Gaz's teacher seen in Parent Teacher Night, is in the crowd of people waiting outside the classroom at the beginning of the episode. This suggests that one student is going to be a teacher.
- The McMeaties in this episode is different than in past episodes because Jhonen Vasquez disliked the way it looked in Germs.
- Bill said that the galactic equinox would cause the galaxies to line up, though the planets merely lined up when the event actually occurred.
- Zim's placement as a fast food employee is ironic, considering that he was re-encoded as a Food Service Drone and spent some time before Operation Impending Doom II doing hard labor on Foodcourtia.
- On that note it's odd that Zim is completely ignorant about fast food services seeing as he worked on Shloogorgh's Flavor Monster, however he could've blocked it out since he claimed that "everything was coming back to him" when Sizz-Lorr kidnapped him.
- This episode foreshadows the fact that Zim's PAK has him encoded as a food service drone, later confirmed in The Frycook What Came from All That Space.
- This is the second time neither GIR nor Zim's Base appears.
- While Dib did get the job he wanted, ironically he was paired off with Bill who by all accounts makes a mockery of the profession and would continue to do so in "The Sad, Sad Tale of Chickenfoot."
Things You Might Have Missed
- Old Kid can be seen in the mob of kids surrounding Count Cocofang.
- When Bill and Dib first drive into the farmlands, you can hear animals sounds then a loud thud, as Bill had hit them with his car.
- Second time Steve Ressel makes a cameo. The first was in Germs.
- The machine that says POS 2000 has the POS part stand for Piece of S**t.
- If you look closely at Cocofang's billboard, you can see that his cereal is called 'Choco Sploodges'
Inconsistencies and Animation Errors
- Near the beginning of the episode when Ms. Bitters proclaims "...all dreams inevitably end in implosions" the alphabet above the chalkboard is missing the letter "T" but then moments later, while handing out the blot test, the alphabet is seen with all letters (including "T").
- At the very beginning of the episode, when Brian says he wants to be a doctor, you can see Melvin behind him with GIR's nose. In the next shot, however, it's back to normal.
- Gaz can be seen amongst the crowd of people with a security guard from Battle-Dib, despite the fact that she isn't in Ms. Bitters's class, however her class could've been doing the aptitude test as well.
- Before the skoolchildren take the test, the clock says it is 13:00, but after Ms. Bitters passes out the tests, the clock reads 10:00.
- When one of the kids says, "Hey! No cutting!", his lips aren't moving.
- Main article: The Kevin Manthei Invader Zim-phony Special
- Dib Meets Mentor
- Galactic Equinox
- The Count
- Zim's Goo