| GIR, get away from that power amplifier! You're sending out deadly waves of stupidness!|
|Invader Zim Episode|
|Plague of Babies|
|Next:||Bloaty's Pizza Hog|
|Episode No:||Episode 10a|
|Airdate:||September 7, 2001|
"Plague of Babies" is the 1st segment in the 10th episode of the first season of Invader Zim. It first premiered on September 7, 2001, on Nickelodeon.
SPOILER WARNING OF DOOM: This section or article may contain spoilers!
Back at his base, Zim contemplates the size of the threat a human baby imposes, but his thoughts are
interrupted by GIR, who is playing with a power amplifier, and sending out so many deadly waves of stupidity, it briefly kills Zim, and forces his PAK to reactivate him. Zim is in the middle of chastising GIR, when the doorbell rings. However, when Zim answers, no one is there. He turns around, only to find himself surrounded by babies, led by Noogums.
After knocking Zim out and tying him up, the babies reveal themselves to actually be members of an alien race called the Nhar-Gh'ok, and Noogums is really Space Sergeant Shnooky. Their race just happens to look identical to human babies, and the reason Shnooky and his team was still on Earth was not by choice. Seven years before, they were sent to Earth to gather information, mistaking the newborns they found in a hospital as members of their own race, being held captive. Shnooky's team liberated the infants, but when they were discovered by hospital workers, the Nhar-Gh'ok were forced to take the places of the babies they "freed". They have been stuck on Earth ever since. Shnooky declares he wishes to steal Zim's ship so they can return to their home planet.
Zim refuses to give up his Voot, and frees himself from his restraints. He makes it to the repair bay where his ship is being held before the Nhar-Gh'ok, but, using acid from their mouths, they are able to break in. For resisting them, the babies morph into Giganto-Baby, and start destroying Zim's base before taking his ship, so that he will be stuck on Earth just like they were. Zim sees GIR still playing with the amplifier, which gives him an idea. He turns the power up to maximum and aims GIR at Giganto-Baby. This causes the Nhar-Gh'ok to resort back to their normal forms, and incapacitates them. Zim launches the babies back to their homes and the Nhar-Gh'ok are still stuck on Earth forever.
End of Spoilers: There are no further spoilers for this section or article. You can breathe now.
Facts of Doom
- The plot of this episode is similar to the movie The Village of the Damned, which was also about children being replaced by abnormal beings.
- Shnooky, the leader of the babies, resembles Tommy Pickles from Rugrats. (This was because he was originally supposed to be Tommy.)
- Bloody GIR can been seen at the voot cruiser sequence during the episode's opening.
- This is one of the few episodes that Dib doesn't appear in but he is mentioned, by GIR no less.
- The helmet that Zim wears to look at the baby through the window is similar to the ones that were put on the heads of the people for them to see the terrible visions in Door to Door.
- He also wears that helmet in Planet Jackers when he's looking at the sky while on the hill with GIR.
- When Zim says that a human has spotted them, GIR brings up how Dib's seen them before, and that he knows where they live, one of the few instances where GIR shows some clarity. It's made even more ironic by the fact that his stupidity plays a large part in the climax.
Things You Might Have Missed
- There is a picture of a vampire from Johnny the Homicidal Maniac seen on the wall when Zim enters the woman's house disguised as a baby inspector.
- At the end of the episode when Zim throws Shnooky through a window, what appears to be Minimoose is seen on the mobile, even though Minimoose didn't actually appear until Season 2.
Changes and Cuts
- Tommy Pickles (from the Nickelodeon show Rugrats) was supposed to be one of the alien babies, and was going to be voiced by E.G. Daily (Tommy's voice actress), but Nickelodeon didn't approve of that idea at the time due to copyright infringement issues. However, Shnooky still seems to resemble Tommy.
- The start of the episode was originally supposed to have Zim and GIR buy their snacks at the start and then have them fly into a billboard. This scene was cut for time constraints.
Inconsistencies and Animation Errors
- When GIR attempts to reason with the baby and is knocked down by Zim, his eyes are coloured green.
- When Zim is in the blue light, he has no reflections.
- Considering that the babies that were "freed" never came back, it cam be implied that they either never grew up or were accepted by the Nhar-Gh'ok as their own.