| Oh such rain we had, it was delicious.|
|Invader Zim Episode|
|Previous:||Attack of the Saucer Morons|
|Episode No:||Episode 05|
|Airdate:||April 27, 2001|
|Writer(s):|| Roman Dirge|
SPOILER WARNING OF DOOM: This section or article may contain spoilers!
End of Spoilers: There is no further spoilers for this section or article. You can breathe now.
Facts of Doom Edit
- The very concept of an invading alien race being vulnerable to water is a major motif of the science-fiction story "The War of the Worlds."
- Dib's final quote in the episode "The wettening! The wettening!" is likely a reference to Kurtz's infamous last words in Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, "The horror! The horror!"
Trivia of DoomEdit
- This episode is the first since The Nightmare Begins that the official Invader ZIM font has been used again.
- This episode was nearly scrapped because the staff had trouble making it long enough.
- This episode is one with one of the DVD easter eggs.
- This episode is very similar to the pilot episode in that Dib attempts to use one of Zim's weaknesses to expose him, and a battle starts.
- This episode caused much confusion about Zim's weakness to water, due to the fact that in episodes before and after, he gets wet and doesn't feel any pain. In Parent Teacher Night, he gets splashed with punch. In Attack of the Saucer Morons, while Zim is riding the pig ship, it does a barrel roll through water. In both Door to Door and The Frycook What Came from All that Space, he is sprayed by a hose. Also, in The Frycook What Came From All That Space, he is splashed with punch and gets in white-hot grease. (But this could be an alien liquid) However, in A Room with a Moose and Tak: The Hideous New Girl, he still seems to have a weakness to it.
- In the DVD commentary to later episodes, this is occasionally passed off with things like, "He's covered completely in paste all the time."
- Jhonen Vasquez has suggested that Irkens are allergic to the pollution in the water, rather than water itself.
- This is one of the few episodes where Gaz smiles. The other episodes are Parent Teacher Night, Gaz, Taster of Pork and the pilot episode.
Things You Might Have MissedEdit
- After the kids sing The Rain Song, Zootch pops up and pretends to spin records like a DJ.
- Keef appears several times throughout the episode, once stuck to the ceiling, and several times throughout the Rain Song.
- Jhonen Vasquez makes a cameo in this episode. Swallowing his piranha when the fish tank had been drained, causing it to fall into the glass he had sitting nearby. Then, he drinks the water with the piranha in it and chokes on it. He also is seen reading a comic featuring one of his own comic book characters, Happy Noodle Boy.
- Steve Ressel made a cameo in this episode; he can be seen eating a hot dog right before the city floods from Zim's giant balloon.
- In the part of the episode when Zim is at the computer to see what the paste on his hand is made out of, there is a computer screens that shows: Asteroid, Rat hair, cupcake, earwax, big door, H2O, wale yellow, dirty dirt, and paste (misspelled without the E).
Inconsistencies and Animation ErrorsEdit
- In the beginning of the episode, the calendar said Wednesday 7, though it says Friday 9 when the children return to class in a later scene. Ms. Bitters mentioned ‘yesterday’s paste incident’ despite the fact that it would have happened two days ago, not the day before.
- When Zim sucked up all the water the water balloon looked different than when he made a model of it.
- When Dib and Gaz are walking home, there's a scene where Dib's legs aren't animated.
- In the scene where Zim is being tortured by Dib at the sight of a faucet dripping, watch carefully. When the camera shows the faucet in front of Zim, and him getting closer, or so it seems, he has no PAK.
- When Dib has the water tank strapped to his back and yells at "Zim". Watch carefully, Zim's hologram's was facing the street when it shows in the first scene, but when the camera looks at it again, the hologram's face turns to the screen.
- In the same scenes, every time the camera looks between "Zim" and Dib, the hologram's face was turning back and forth. When Dib is about to throw the water balloon at "Zim", the hologram's face turns away to what's in front of it until the balloon goes through it and it disappears.
- As Gaz wakes up Dib, his scythe-lock seems to have gone limp overnight. In other episodes, however, this never happens.
- After Zim gets hit by Dib's water balloon when he examines the paste on his hand, he appears to have four fingers, even though Irkens have only three fingers.
MusicEditMain Article: The Kevin Manthei Invader Zim-phony Special
- Wet Stares
- Building Montage
- Water Park